Well, it doesn’t normally take us longer than 5 days to complete a week of schooling. However, this week 11, it did. We had to put school on hold while we made a quick trip back to Georgia to visit my mom in the hospital (she’s been in for two weeks now, and she will soon be moving to a rehab facility). So, with that said, here’s how week 11 went for us.
- Bible – We continued to talk about Joseph. Micah memorized Genesis 50:20a, and he also completed a “coat of many colors” puzzle piece.
- Phonics – This week Micah worked on the consonants ‘v’ and ‘f’. He also worked on the phonograms “-ob, –ock, –ent, and –uff.” His sight words were ‘away, she, this, who.’
- Poetry – Our poem this week was ‘Teddy Bear.’ We used the poem to find rhyming words, syllables, and periods.
- Math – This week we worked on the numbers 11-30.
- Bible – This week Caleb read about the Tabernacle. He read from Exodus and Leviticus. Here’s his interpretation of the Tabernacle.
- Math – This week Caleb worked on long addition; addition word problems; rounding and estimating; pictographs and bar graphs; and adding three or more numbers. He’s doing really well with Teaching Textbooks, and the fussing is gone. So, this is a HUGE plus.
- English – This week Caleb worked on action verbs, direct objects, and sentences with more than one direct object.
- FUN SCHOOL Explorations – I am not sure why we ever got away from our “FUN SCHOOL” studies, but I made sure to implement them again this week. I’ve tweaked the schedule quite a few times, and I’ll come back with a more detailed post on that. Here’s what Caleb did during his FUN SCHOOL this week.
- Travel Somewhere Tuesday – Caleb chose to read about India.
- Want to Know Wednesday – Caleb used the Young Einstein’s Club website to find out a topic to research. He chose to list 20 types of dinosaurs.
- Take it To Your Seat Thursday – Caleb sorted a box of dinosaur flash cards. He chose to sort them by their appearance (long neck, short arms, etc).
- Tell Me More Tuesday – Caleb researched dinosaurs and then presented four facts.
- What Does it Mean Wednesday – Caleb used Hot Dots Vocabulary cards to study words.
So, it was a very productive and fun week. I’m really hoping going back to our FUN SCHOOL Explorations will add lots of fun into the school day. It also helps by giving Caleb a somewhat independent activity (or two) while I work with Micah.