Another week at Childress Academy for Boys is complete. It’s hard to believe that we’re slowly approaching the end of 3rd grade. Time really is flying by, and I think it’s because we’re having so much fun!
Bible – Our lessons were on “God’s Children Trust Him” and “God’s Children Give.” We read Matthew 14:24-31 and Psalm 96.
English – Caleb started a new ACE Pace, and he started working on when to use certain words. This week he focused on a/an, learn/teach, sit/set, let/leave, there/their, its/it’s, and can/may.
Math – He finished up CLELU 205 by taking his test. He scored 91%. Then we moved on to CLELU 206. He worked on multiplying by 2, thousands and tens, and two-step story problems.
FUN SCHOOL – Our new plan is still going really well. I really think this was the best decision we’ve made, and I look forward to continuing to implement it for the next few years.
- Map it Monday – This week I introduced Caleb to Text Mapping. I used a non-fiction book to teach him how to use the different parts of the book and how to do research. We focused on the Chapter Titles, vocabulary words, picture captions, fast facts/lists, and then the text. Once we were done, he had to answer several questions about the book.
- Mathematical Monday – This week we played Pyramid 13 with cards.
- Travel Somewhere Tuesday – Caleb chose to learn all about Canada this week. He used books from the library to complete a Crossword Puzzle, and the he completed a fact sheet for Canada. He also made a small version of the Canadian flag.
- Working with Words Wednesday – This week we worked on Writing Super Sentences. This activity was done to help Caleb progress from simple sentence to more advanced and descriptive sentences. He did really well with the exercise, and I think it’ll help his writing.
- Want to Know Wednesday – This week Caleb decided he wanted to learn more about clouds. We spent some time studying the different types of clouds, and then he painted each type of cloud. We then made a ‘cloud in a jar’, and he thought that was the coolest thing.
- Think it Through Thursday – This week Caleb worked on test prep skills again. We did a little work with reading comprehension and spelling.
- Turn the Page Thursday – Caleb read from some of his animal books…the boy LOVES animals. He has so many animal books, and he’s always grabbing them over any other book.
- Fun Friday – We took the opportunity to join some friends at Johnny G’s Fun Center (a local indoor play area with laser tag, mini-golf, bumper cars, token games, bounce houses, etc.). Both boys had a GREAT time, and it was a great way to release some energy since the weather had been pretty rainy.