We finished up another week of fourth grade…only about 13 more weeks left (I think that’s right). Here’s how our week went…
Bible – Our questions were ‘Did Noah take dinosaurs on the ark?’ and ‘How did all the dinosaurs fit on the ark?’ We read Genesis 6:19-20 and 7:14 for the first question and Genesis 6:15, 1:25, and 7:14 for the second question.
English – This week Caleb worked on personal pronouns; I or me; we or us; and using pronouns correctly. He took a test and scored 96%.
Reading – Caleb continued to read The Chronicles of Narnia – The Magician’s Nephew by C. S. Lewis.
Math – This week Caleb worked on dividing by 4; one-fourth of a number; rounding to the nearest inch; rounding to the nearest centimeter; expressions; and dividing by 6.
Exploration – Caleb wanted to learn about electricity this week, so I found books from the library for him to peruse. I also picked up an Electricity kit from Hobby Lobby. We had a LOT of fun with this topic. We used a balloon to show static electricity…we made it stick to the wall, had it pick up construction paper snakes, and had it pick up pieces of aluminum foil. We also used a comb (combed it through our hair) to pick up and move the aluminum foil. Using the kit, we built a loop and used several loads to show electricity (lamp, motor, and buzzer). Caleb also completed an electricity notebook/lapbook page.
- English – helping verbs has, have, had
- Science – each continent’s highest mountain
- History – Henry the Navigator
- Math – Metric measurements
- Latin – 1st Declension Noun Endings (singular and plural)
- Geography – Middle East…Israel, Sinai Peninsula, Suez Canal, Cairo, Gaza Strip
- Timeline – Japan’s Isolation, Jamestown and Plymouth Colony Founded, Age of Enlightenment, Hudson’s Bay Company, First Great Awakening, Classical Period of the Arts, The Seven Years’ War
- Science Experiments – This week we talked about prints. We used modeling clay, a seashell, and plaster of paris to make a print. We also talked about placer ore deposits.
- Fine Arts – Great Artists – This week we studied Angelico. We painted “halos” using metallic paints.